The Objectives of the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI)
The objectives of the Association are to uphold, propagate and further the pedagogical principles and practice formulated by Dr. Maria Montessori for the full development of the human being. The Association aims to establish these objectives by all lawful means and in particular by:
- Upholding the rights of the child in society and making known the child’s importance for the progress of civilization.
- Making known the natural laws of growth in order to help the child to develop naturally in the family, school and society.
- Awakening public opinion with regard to the moral dignity of the child as ‘the Father of Man’ and to make clear the true nature of adult responsibility toward the child as the worker whose spontaneous activity produces the full-grown man.
- Spreading and upholding the pedagogical principles and practice formulated by Dr. Maria Montessori, which ensure the independence of the child’s personality through successive stages of growth until he reaches full normal development by means of his own activity.
- Providing opportunities wherever possible for children to develop normally, thereby helping all adults to enter into a new life of harmony and co-operation with children; and by thus unifying the two fundamental phases of human life, to lead the way to a higher and more peaceable civilization.
- Functioning as a social movement that will strive to obtain recognition for the rights of the child throughout the world, irrespective of race, religion, political and social beliefs; co-operating with other bodies and organizations which further the development of education, human rights and peace.